Lesson Plan Outline
Carolina Gold & Black by Maryterese Pasquale-Bowen of Ithaca
I. Use the sources answer the questions that follow.
1. Who is selling these Negroes?
2. What is the significance of calling the Ship Bance-Island?
3. What indications are there that these slaves might be skilled
4. Why is there so much emphasis on small pox?
5. What is your reaction to the illustrations? If you were to designing
the posters to sell a "commodity" would you have included them?
1. The preceding poster advertised slaves coming from Africa. From where
are these individuals arriving?
2. In light of this, what kind of skills do you believe these individuals
3. Look over this list and make a hypothesis concerning the individuals
who are being auctioned.
to larger image of this document
1. Explain at least four tasks undertaken by individuals enslaved on a
2. Which of these would you have preferred to have assigned to you as your
task? Be sure to explain reasons for you answer?
Exhibit D6 "A Planter's Mansion"
1. Look carefully at this illustration and describe what is depicted.
2. Choose a different caption for this illustration and explain why you
Exhibit E7 "The Plan of Middleton Place"
1. Discuss two influences of geography on this plantation.
2. Although the plantation house burned down during the Civil War, place
an X where you believe it might have been based on your knowledge of
3. Place a double XX where you think the "slave street" might have